Thursday 3 December 2009

New Moon

I know I promised in my last entry that I would attempt to make my next post a positive one, however, unfortunately, this was the next movie I saw!

I am not a teenage girl, I have not read the books, the sight of Robert Pattinson and Taylor Lautner stripping does not get my heart pumping, I like things to happen in a movie, I am a fan of actors that can or are allowed to act and I am also a fan of vampire films - I clearly tick none of the 'target audience' boxes.

This film was as long as it was dull - with a budget of more that twice than that of the first in the series - one might think you could at least make a 'vampire' movie visually exciting - but sadly, no. I didn't see any vampires - did you? Maybe I blinked!

Non-diehard fans of the series will fail to empathise with any of the main characters - the actors appear bored with their roles. Bella (Kristen Stewart) does little more than winge for the entire duration of the film - Jacob (Taylor Lautner) spends the entire film partially clad (when I say partially...I really mean fully with the exception of a pair of ripped denim shorts which would be more appropriate on a Ken doll from the 1980s) - and Edward (Robert Pattinson) spends the majority of his screen time standing still, looking tired and nauseous.

It would be unfair for me to comment on the success of the narrative having not read the books, however to me, it felt tediously slow and lacking in any emotion.

I'm sure through the rose-tinted glasses of the Twilight fanbase, this was the most exciting release of the year, however to a newcomer, it failed to evoke more than a few yawns.

A teenage love story it is, a vampire film - it really aint!

No comments:

Post a Comment