Saturday 20 February 2010

Television 'The Small Screen' module summary

I was already exceedingly passionate and interested in the art of filmmaking when I began the RSAMD’s Digital Film and Television course in September 2009 – and I do believe that if I had been asked back then if I knew much about television, my response would have been an unhesitant ‘yes’ – although I now know that this was not the case. As it turns out, I knew very little about the historical and current landscape of television – its programmes, the makers, the range of genres, styles, the structure and the many formats. There is so much more to television than most of us know. Our television module – ‘The Small Screen’ – has helped to open my eyes to the vast amount that television can offer – the BBC’s motto, to ‘inform, educate and entertain’. Informing us of news events and current affairs – educating us though documentaries teaching us about history and wildlife – entertaining us with powerful, emotional escapist drama, light entertainment shows and comedy.

Television affects all society and culture – and in some cases very much dictates both (e.g. pop-culture – the music we like, the clothes we wear, the food we eat). I have learnt of the power that television wields and we have had the chance to debate the pros and cons of this.

Throughout this module, led by film journalist and author, Andy Dougan, we have experienced all genres of television, from powerful drama like ‘The Street’ to light entertainment reality shows such as ‘Big Brother’, through screenings, lectures and passionate debates. It has helped us to contextualise our practical work – our screenwriting, camera and editing work – and by placing these skills in context, we can improve, for I believe to be good at these you must know why you are doing them, what you are creating and for whom.

I really look forward to further work in this class - exploring these ideas further, and I feel our first module has really helped to prepare us – placing us in the right mindset.

No comments:

Post a Comment