Wednesday 23 June 2010

EIFF 2010 - The Filmless Part

Edinburgh Film Festival has been the experience of a lifetime.... not only have I seen a vast range of different, unique and fascinating films - there have been a number of fantastic networking opportunities and the chance to meet a lot of fascinating people also.


On the first afternoon of the festival, I had arranged to meet up with the world class cinematographer, Seamus McGarvey, with whom my friend has been working with for the last few months and whom I had spoken to before through Facebook. I met up with him at his Edinburgh flat where, over lunch, we had a fascninating discussion about his work - it was truly inspiring to be around someone so talented and successful for that length of time!

Seamus has been our guide for most of the week!

That evening, Seamus invited myself, my friend Sian and other friend Matthew (who has produced a number of my film projects) to a drinks reception at the Hilton hotel in Edinburgh which we were told actor Brian Cox would be attending.

That evening we arrived amongst many talented individuals, filmmakers and actors alike. My networking senses most definitely tingling. Everyone was very warm and friendly with fascinating conversation. After an introduction by Seamus, I got to have a long an in depth conversation with Brian Cox - After complaining briefly about the cost of living in New York and the state of the film industry in general... he began asking about some of the projects I was working on -I described the idea of 'The Secret Commonwealth' - he loved the sound of the project and asked if I would send him more info as he would potentially be interested in taking a part in the project - of course at this, I jumped at the opportunity - handing over cards and email addresses etc. I had said from the start of this project that this very man would be perfect for one of the lead roles - Little did I know I would be meeting him very soon after that! I also had an interesting discussion with actor, Rhys Ifans about his recent work and his involvement in the festival - I found him friendly if not a little whacky! Although I did not get a chance to speak to him properly - I was also introduced to director Ken Russell who although appeared to have been suffering from ill health at the time, talked at length about the film festival.

The next day saw another introduction to a favourite actress of mine, Tilda Swinton. She was holding an event for a charity she runs called '8 1/2'. Because Seamus had just been working on a film with her, he introduced us and we got a chance to have a brief chat.

All in all, the week has been very exciting and busy, as well as the odd moment relaxing in the hot hot sun!

No comments:

Post a Comment